BYOD or Bring your Own device describes the policy of permitting employees to create personally owned cellular devices (laptops, tablets, and smart phones) with their workplace, and to utilize those devices to access privileged company information and applications. The phenomenon is commonly called IT Consumerization. The definition of can be used to explain exactly the same practice placed on students using personally owned devices in education settings.
The definition of BYOD was introduced in 2009 by Intel when they noticed the tendency of using own cellular devices one of the employees inside their corporate work.
Significance of BYOD
As a result of rapid increase of cellular devices it is assumed that within next five years the full total amount of devices is likely to be around 10 billion that means 1.5 devices per head. As the private mobile devices are integrated part of our lives, employees want to utilize their particular devices in personal as well as corporate purpose also Cracked Mac Apps.
In today’s economic model, whenever a company wants their workers to be much more productive, BYOD is a useful and attractive option and increase the productivity on a large scale if it safely used.
Survey Reports on BYOD
There are plenty of surveys have already been done by all of the big IT companies as BYOD is playing an essential role in the market.
- 75% of employees in high-growth markets such as Brazil and Russia and 44% in developed markets already employing their own technology at work.
· 95% of employees stating they use one or more personal device for work.
· 44% of job seekers view an organization more positively if it supports their device.
· IBM says that 82% of employees believe smartphones play a crucial role in business.
Security Problem With BYOD
- Security of data: Since the employees carry the important data with them super fast drive or laptop away from company. So if the employees aren’t trustable, it is possible that they may supply the facts to other company. Now this is simply not a complex issue. Therefore it cannot be solved for the reason that way.
- Lost and stolen devices: Countless cellular phones and smartphones are lost or stolen every year. It is thought that approximately 22% of the full total amount of cellular devices produced is likely to be lost or stolen throughout their lifetime, and over 50% of the won’t ever be recovered. Most devices are stolen for the worth of the hardware on the second-hand market; however, a growing quantity of lost and stolen phones have their content accessed by someone other than their owners. This highlights the importance of basic security features such as password protection, encryption and robust procedures to wipe the unit once lost.
- Unknown Mobile App download: Nearly every app takes some permission from the master to access some features or hardware to run properly. However it is observed there are millions of apps from unknown or un-trustable develops who misuse the permissions and information extracted from mobile or tablet. It is observed that sometimes a simple torch application takes permission to see contacts or SD card etc. These apps are just fishy. If the private cellphones which are used in offices contains these types of applications, it might result in a huge data loss.
- Malware download: Nearly every organization uses legal licensed os, software in PC or Laptop. But maximum users rely on the free software or the cracked or pirated version of the program inside their personal devices. This kind of pirated softwares are often developed by hackers to achieve the access of our computer. Not only that, these customized softwares are undetectable by antivirus, additionally, it damage and destroy the operating systems. The chance becomes high as additionally they use pirated antivirus which cannot update its own database.
- Other network connection: The devices of companies are just can be utilized at work network which can be generally protected by good and original software and hardware firewall and the network can be monitored by some network security experts continuously but in the event of BYOD all of the devices are used in public places and home. These networks are not at all secure and hackers can hack the laptops or mobile easily when they connect with these networks.
- Enabling Security top features of OS: Typically the most popular OS on earth are Windows, Linux and MAC. Three of them have lots of inbuilt security features which we have to manually activate. The firewall also can be customized to obtain maximum protection. In just about any office, these tasks are performed by experts atlanta divorce attorneys computer. But a lot of the employees don’t know the activation process and they utilize the default settings which activates only 25% of the overall security supplied by the OS Company.
- Less usage of encryption: Employees generally do not use encryption to guard their data. As a result, if devices are lost or somehow hackers manage to achieve the access of PC or mobile they can easily read and utilize the data. But if they use proper encryption, they can protect the key information of the organization.